About the White House Gardens and Grounds
- Follow this timeline of the evolution of the White House landscapes and gardens compiled by the White House Historical Association.
- Click here for videos about White House garden design, its trees, pets in the gardens, and the Rose Garden. (Again, thanks to the Historical Association.)
- Click here for C-SPAN’s broadcast about the gardens and grounds, produced in 2008 on the occasion of the visit by Queen Elizabeth. Introduction by President Clinton. Interviews with Grounds Superintendent Dale Haney. 26 minutes.
About the Rose Garden
- “President Kennedy’s Rose Garden” is the story of the garden written by Bunny Mellon herself.
- This unofficial website about the Rose Garden includes an extensive collection of photos.
About White House Kitchen Gardens
- See also the History of the White House Kitchen Garden on the Historical Association blog.
- Wikipedia chronicles kitchen gardens by Eleanor Roosevelt, Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama.
- American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America by First Lady Michelle Obama covers the the Obama kitchen garden and other kitchen gardens across the U.S. Published in 2012.
- Here’s the lay-out of the Obama kitchen garden.
Seeing in Person –
- See”How to See the White House Gardens and Grounds” right here on DC Gardens.
- The slide show below shows the gardens and grounds in October at the time of two Open Garden weekends during the Obama Administration.