Washington Gardener Magazine has a clear vision: To “help your Washington DC area garden grow!” Editor/publisher Kathy Jentz also makes seed exchanges happen in the winter and brings great speakers to the Silver Garden Club. More coming soon about what else the editor/publisher about town does to promote gardening and DC’s gardens.
Capital Splendor: Stunning photos and in-depth essays on more than 30 of Washington, D.C.’s gardens, some famous and other little-known gems, make this book a must-have for visitors and residents alike. By Barbara Glickman, author, and Valerie Brown, photographer.
A Guide to Smithsonian Gardens by veteran garden writer Carole Otteson. From a reviewer on Dave’s Garden: A Guide to Smithsonian Gardens is an excellent addition to the gardener’s library and a valuable tool if visiting Washington D. C. It is highly recommended for gardener or traveler.”
In Local Newspapers
Long-time Washington Post garden writer Adrian Higgins is published weekly in the local section on Thursday. Also in that section is Barbara Damrosch’s Cook’s Garden column about growing edibles. Both excellent.
DC-Area Garden Blogs
- 1003 Gardens‘s author works at the National Arboretum, and gardens in Maryland and Florida.
- A Leafy Indulgence
- Black Walnut Dispatch is the blog of NoVa garden designer Mary Gray.
- Clagett Farm is the farm supplying produce for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation’s CSA. (Community-Supported Agriculture service.)
- DC Tropics
- Fessenden Farmstead
- Flat Bottom Flowers
- Fleeting Architecture
- Garden Design Online – gardening and landscape with attitude from designer and writer Jane Berger.
- GardenRant,co-founded by Greenbelter Susan Harris, is a national team blog launched in 2005. News, opinion, humor, controversy.
- Gradually Greener
- Greenish Thumb
- Grounded Design is the internationally acclaimed blog of NoVa landscape architect Thomas Rainer.
- Grow It Eat It - the food-growing blog of Maryland’s Extension Service and Master Gardeners.
- Indoor Garden(er)
- Instrument of Grace
- Jennah’s Garden
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond, VA is fabulous and their blog shows it.
- My Brown Thumb
- Of Leaf and Limb is the work of No.Va professional gardener and garden designer Sarah Strickler.
- Pamela J
- Potato Queen and Mulch Boy
- Public Health Garden
- Roots in Reality
- Rose Garden Yoga
- Tangled Branches
- The Dirty Radish
- Tree Speak
- Washington Gardener Magazine by the magazine’s editor/publisher Kathy Jentz keeps readers in the loop.
- Washington Youth Garden
- Where You Are Planted
Bloggers, if yours is listed without a brief description, drop a line with one (firstname.lastname@example.org) and it’ll be added. Ditto if yours isn’t listed at all!