DC Gardens is a nonprofit media campaign using images of DC-area gardens by month to aid visitors. The photos are displayed here and on social media and offered at no charge for others to use, with credit to the garden.
DC Gardens is also a hub for information that helps locals learn to garden and connect with the gardening and greening community.
DC-Area Destination Gardens in May
Click for slide shows and videos of the gardens in May. Lots more coming soon.
Franciscan Monastery, above.
National Arboretum, above.
U.S. Botanic Garden, above.
Brookside Gardens, above.
McCrillis Gardens, above.
River Farm, above.
Tours and Events in May 2015
– May 1-2 The National Cathedral Flower Mart is an annual outdoor festival for garden enthusiasts and families that features annuals, perennials, landscape exhibits, Olmsted Woods and Garden Tours, musical entertainment, gourmet food, a book sale, and children’s activities such as a rock wall, moon bounce, mini-Ferris wheel and a century-old restored carousel. More than 50 booths offering gardening items, handbags, jewelry, and more. (More visitor info here.)
– May 3, Takoma Park House and Garden Tour.
– May 7, Talk by Bringing Nature Home author Doug Tallamy, sponsored by the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center. Details here.
– May 8, Smithsonian Garden Fest.
– May 9-10 Capitol Hill House and Garden Tour.
– May 9 Georgetown Garden Tour.
– May 9 – World Bonsai Day Open House at National Arboretum‘s Bonsai and Penjing Museum 10 am to 4 pm. This annual event features demonstrations at 12:00 and 2:00 pm, drawings for the demonstration trees, curator-led museum tours at 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 2:00 pm, and an exhibit about Mr. Kato, founder of the World Bonsai Friendship Federation. Admission and all events are free.
– May 16 Spring Garden Day at Green Spring Gardens – Huge Plant Sale. 40 vendors of rare and unusual plants. 9 am – 3 pm.
– May 17 Shepherd Park Garden Tour.
On-Going in May
- The U.S. Botanic Garden offers tours, workshops, talks and demonstrations all season – click here for 2015 schedule.
- Smithsonian Garden Tours weekly from May – September.
- Mt. Vernon Gardens and Landscape Tours are given daily April – October.
- Tram tours of the National Arboretum.