DC Gardens is a nonprofit, multi-media and in-person campaign promoting DC-area public gardens to visitors and residents alike. Its photos are available for download at no charge, with credit to the garden.
DC Gardens also promotes gardening with extensive “Local Info” that connects residents to the gardening and greening community.
New on DC Gardens
“Seeing DC by Photo Safari” features what may be the coolest way to see DC’s gorgeous outdoor sights.
“How to see the Eagles AND the famous azaleas at the National Arboretum” this spring includes tips from the Arboretum staff.
National Park Rx, a growing movement among doctors to prescribe parks and nature to their patients, launched recently and DC Gardens was asked to talk to the public about the benefits of gardening and the benefits of just being IN gardens. The answers are in “DC Park Rx: Health Benefits of Gardening and Being in Gardening.” Thanks, Park Rx, for including gardens and gardening!
There’s a new garden in town – the Mediterranean Room at the U.S. Botanic Garden.
Garden Happenings in May 2016
– May 1: Grow It Eat It Spring Open House at the Agricultural History Farm Park in Derwood, Md. Register here.
– May 6-7: National Cathedral Flower Mart. Festival foods, children’s rides, artisanal & boutique gifts and, of course, herbs & flowers. Drawing locals and tourists alike since 1939, this festival of flowers and fun will celebrate All Hallows’ Guild’s centennial of service to the 59 acres of gardens and grounds around Washington National Cathedral. 10-6 on Friday and 10-5 on Saturday. Watch the video!
– May 1, Takoma Park House and Garden Tour.
– May 6: Smithsonian Garden Fest.
– May 6: Visitor Appreciation Week and National Public Gardens Day at Green Spring Gardens. Free gardening discussions, demonstrations or plant giveaways at 11 am and afternoon refreshments.
– May 6: National Public Garden Day – it’s free at Tudor Place.
– May 7 Georgetown Garden Tour.
– May 8: Mother’s Day Floral Tea at Tudor Place.
– May through October: Weekly Tours of the Smithsonian Gardens. Special tours for the Enid Haupt Garden, Ripley Garden, Heritage Garden, VictoryGarden and the Native American Garden. Schedule and details here.
– May 7-8: Capitol Hill House and Garden Tour.
– May 14: Spring Plant Sale at Green Spring Gardens. 9 am – 3 pm. More than 40 local garden vendors.
– May 13-15: World Bonsai Day Festival at the National Arboretum, with the Potomac Bonsai Association. See full schedule here.
– May 14 Spring Garden Day BIG Plant Sale at Green Spring Gardens.
– May 14 FREE Potomac Rose Society Symposium on Disease-Resistant Roses. Peter Kukielski, author of Roses without Chemicals and former curator of the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden at the NY Botanical Garden, will help attendees re-think the rose garden.1-5 pm. More details here.
– May 15, 11 – 3: Bike Ride! Explore D.C.’s landmark greenspaces by bike, including Rock Creek Park, the National Mall, and Anacostia Park, and ending at the National Arboretum, where you will enjoy the World Bonsai Day Festival, the ‘Grass Roots’ turfgrass exhibit, light refreshments, and embark on a scavenger hunt to find “Petal”, the National Cherry Blossom Festival’s very own garden gnome. Click here to register, or write to: email@example.com.
– May 15: Shepherd Park Garden Tour.
– May 21 BIoBlitz Volunteer Day at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens.
– May 22: Columbia Heights Garden Tour.
– May 21 – October 2: Exhibit Flourish: Inside and Out at the U.S. Botanic Garden. The indoor and outdoor exhibit, developed with the Chicago Botanic Garden, showcases the proven human-health benefits of interacting with nature. Full details here.
– Through – October 28: Guided Garden Tour at Tudor Place.
– Through November 2: Learn Art in the Garden at Tudor Place.
– April 1 through June 26: Guided tours of Hillwood Gardens at 10:30 and 12:30. Learn about the history, design, and the plants and flowers of the 13 acres of formal gardens. First-come, first-served upon opening each day. Approximately one hour long. Reservations are available for Hillwood members and groups of 10 or more. Included in suggested donation.
– April 27 – September 25: Wings of Fancy Live Butterfly & Caterpillar Exhibit. 10 am – 4 pm daily.
For 2016 events June-December, click here.