DC Gardens is a nonprofit campaign that encourages visits to DC-area public gardens by distributing images of the gardens by month to the general public, travel and garden media. We also promote the gardens to DC’s tourism sector and to the public at local events, and widely through social media. Its photos are available for download at no charge, with credit to the garden.
DC Gardens also promotes gardening with its extensive “Local Info” that connects residents to the gardening and greening community.
New on DC Gardens
- Intimate Look at the Creation of the Kennedy Rose Garden
- The Gardener’s Guide to the National Mall illustrates the Circulator bus route with photos and provides insider tips about the gardens and landscape-style memorials along the way.
Garden Events in October-November 2015
Coming soon – White House Garden & Grounds,will be open! Find out the date as soon as it’s announced by subscribing to our Monthly News in the upper right on this website. Get ready for the event by reading How to Tour the White House Gardens and Grounds. It’s much easier than is commonly assumed.
October 3 – “Continuous Garden” Half-Day Symposium at Green Spring Gardens. Speakers includeDavid Culp, designer, lecturer, and author of The Layered Garden; Nancy Moitrier, designer, horticulturist, and owner of Designs for Greener Gardens; and Karen Rexrode, horticulturist, photographer, and former nursery owner. 8 am.- noon.
Oct 10 – Nov 19 Fall Chysanthemum display at Brookside Gardens.
Throughout October and November – Mums Tour with Head Grower Drew Asbury at Hillwood Gardens.
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at noon: Lunchtime Tours of the Botanic Garden’s Conservatory.
Tuesdays and Wednesdays: Tea and Tour the National Cathedral and Grounds
Wings of Fancy Live Butterfly and Caterpillar show Brookside Gardens to October 25.
Exposed, the Secret life of Roots thru October 13 at the U.S. Botanic Garden Conservatory. Photographer Jim Richardson captured below- and above-ground s hots of crops and prairie grasses, and the actual plants he shot are on exhibit here. Fascinating!
FREE live theater at the U.S. Botanic Garden, a co-production with the Kennedy Center – part of its Theater for Young Audiences season. September 12 – October 24. Details here.
Oct 31 Garlic Planting Party at the Washington Youth Garden. Food, music, face-painting, Halloween spooktacular games and activities, along with garlic-planting.
Nov 19 Celebrate Veterans through Service at the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. 9 – 1. More info.
- The U.S. Botanic Garden offers tours, workshops, talks and demonstrations all season – click here for 2015 schedule.
- Mt. Vernon Gardens and Landscape Tours are given daily April – October.
- Hillwood Garden tours September 1 – November 15. And click here for workshops and special tours.
- Tram Tours of the National Arboretum. Also, classes, workshops, etc.
- Smithsonian Gardens tours weekly.
- Brookside Gardens’ talks, workshops, etc.
- Green Spring Gardens adult and kids’ events.
- Special Tours of Tudor Place are offered monthly.
- Meadowlark Botanical Garden Classes, etc.
DC-Area Gardens in October
And visit the October page to see what DC-area gardens look like now.